Risk Engineering Manager - Zurich Insurance Middle East
Zurich Middle East is part of Zurich Insurance Group, one of the world’s largest and most experienced insurers.
Our mission is to help our local community understand and protect themselves from risk both locally and globally. With around 55,000 employees serving customers in more than 170 countries, we aspire to become the best global insurer as measured by our shareholders, customers and employees. We help individuals, small and medium sized companies and global corporations around the world understand and protect themselves from risk by offering a wide range of insurance products, solutions and advisory services.
Reporting to the Chief Underwriting Officer of Zurich Insurance Company, the Risk Engineering Manager is responsible for managing the Risk Engineers of the Middle East business unit, across multiple lines of business; Energy, Property and Construction in addition to providing Risk Engineering services for the Energy Department.
As the Risk Engineering Manager, the candidate will be required to develop the services offered by the local Risk Engineering team to ensure our clients are provided with the appropriate products and levels of support to understand and manage their risk. As Risk Engineering is considered as a separate line of business in the Middle East, the Manager will also be responsible for financial aspects including budget setting, monitoring / managing revenue collection and presenting budget figures to the Executive Committee. Regular meetings with the Risk Engineering team to ensure timely survey planning and report generation across all lines of business is critical in order that RE revenue is realised and budgets can be achieved. The Manager will also be responsible for providing the interface between the Risk Engineers and the Underwriters with respect to upcoming renewals and risk engineering service delivery; Desktop Reports (DTRs), surveys, survey reports and Risk Improvement Actions (RIA) closure. In addition the Manager will interface with the Global Risk Engineering leadership team and manage Middle East Risk Engineering performance versus Global KPIs.
As an Energy Risk Engineer, you are expected to provide risk assessment and risk improvement services for customers and business partners within the Oil, Gas and Petrochemical line of business. The role will involve managing accounts for large multi-national and local organisations primarily in both downstream Oil, Gas and Petrochemicals (OGP) industry sector and could be supplemented with survey work in other industries and lines of business (assistance with upstream OGP, Power and Renewables would be an advantage). This role will require close interaction with the Energy Underwriters to provide insight into the quality of risks and support decisions with placement of new business and renewals as well as reviewing endorsements.
- Develop the services delivered by the Risk Engineering team ensuring they are strategically aligned to business objectives.
- Effective leadership of multiple teams of remote technical risk specialists.
- Plans, recruits and assigns resources to assist underwriters with proposals and budgeting for prospects.
- Provides project management and resource planning.
- Facilitates communications and integration between Claims, Risk Engineering, and Underwriting.
- Manages Risk Engineering travel and service expense through effective scheduling.
- Participates in projects related to service delivery, satisfaction and quality.
- Identifies developmental needs to service the work in territory of responsibility.
- Conducts field audits to provide coaching, and improve zonal activities, workflow, and performance.
- Responsible for resolving technical issues within area of responsibility.
- Establish and agree to key performance targets and financial budgets for assigned work unit in order to optimise business performance in line with set objectives, such as increasing sales and profitability on consulting services.
- Assign appropriate resources in a geographic area to assist underwriters in order to meet agreed service delivery targets.
- Ensure the overall delivery and quality of services to customers and business partners in their geographic area.
- Conduct opportunity spotting and cross selling with customers and business partners and therefore contribute strongly to the business operating profit.
- Control the technical quality and professional standards of the risk engineering function to deliver a consistently high-quality service to customers.
- Lead the implementation of initiatives to improve processes, develop policies and generate innovation in the risk engineering field.
- Conduct Risk Assessments both technical desktop assessments and site assessment reviews for Energy accounts.
- Arrange and conduct individual risk engineering surveys through technical discussions with account teams, clients, brokers and market risk engineers. Co-ordinate and manage the execution of these surveys. Support external customers by identifying, and reducing the risks that they face individually, and on an overall account basis.
- Provide appropriate risk improvement advice, conduct loss investigations (including both trend and root cause analysis), and implement risk improvement programs.
- Share technical expertise with colleagues, business partners and customers through training delivery or participation in a Centre of Expertise or industry segment.
- Utilise established financial systems to assess loss potential in order to manage and control exposure to the organisation.
- Develop a simple business case for a defined project to determine potential benefits, clarify the rationale for investment and support the planning process.
- Develop and maintain positive customer and business partner relationships and collaborate with both customers and business partners to develop appropriate service plans.
- Research primary data sources, select relevant information related to ordinary types of risks and make appropriate recommendations to external customers.
To be successful in this role, you should have:
- Minimum Bachelors or Masters degree in Chemical or Petrochemical Engineering.
- Operational management experience - ability to work with diverse teams.
- Ability to travel within and outside the GCC region up to 80 days per year.
- Solid experience working within the Oil, Gas or Petrochemicals industry preferably in the Middle East. This experience can be in a variety of roles including risk engineering, operations, technical, engineering, maintenance or HSE;
- Excellent knowledge of process operations, asset integrity activities (maintenance, inspection), and process safety management; plus international codes & standards is highly desirable;
- Working knowledge of fire protection and detection systems would be an advantage;
- A self-starter, with strong interpersonal and communication skills – from site technicians up to company CEOs;
- Proven ability to write detailed reports of a varied technical nature;
- Experience of working with international engineering standards and codes such API, ASME, IEEE, ANSI, NFPA.
- Must be fluent in English, Arabic fluency is an advantage.
- Qualifications in risk management or relevant accreditations would be considered favourably.
- Member of engineering associations (i.e. IChemE, etc.) is preferable.
At Zurich, we like to think outside the box and challenge the status quo. We take an optimistic approach by focusing on the positives and constantly asking What can go right?
We are an equal opportunity employer who knows that each employee is unique - that’s what makes our team so great!
Join us as we constantly explore new ways to protect our customers and the planet.
Location(s): AE - Dubai
Remote working: No
Schedule: Full Time
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Chemical or Petrochemical
- Fluent in English