Health Care Assistant (4 hubs) - NHS, UK
The Healthcare Assistant will under the supervision on the Lead Nurse and strictly in accordance with specific guidelines and protocols. They will work in close partnership with the other key members of the STAR Service, PCAC service, ELM Alliance Management Team and external organisations to implement & deliver the services on time and within budget.
Work within across 4 hubs
- Hirsel Medical Centre, North Ormesby
- Bentley Medical Practice, RPCH
- Primary Care Access hub, North Ormesby
- Rainbow hub, RPCH
- Contracted Hours/ Zero Hour Contract
- Accountable to: Lead Nurse
Main role and purpose of the post:
The Health Care Assistant will
- Be a member of the clinical team.
- Provide phlebotomy, in accordance with current guidelines and local protocols.
- Perform New Patient Health Checks, in accordance with local protocols
- Refer patients to other clinicians as necessary
- Provide routine clinical care to patients according to locally approved protocols, under supervision of the Nurse Practitioner.
- Work within RPCH and other sites
- Understand the principles of healthy living and provide relevant health promotion literature to patients. Assist clinicians in the emergency management of patients.
- Collect patient data such as blood pressure, height, weight and ECG in accordance with practice protocols and your competence to operate the necessary equipment.
- Record data on patient electronic records in an accurate and timely manner.
- Summarise patient notes and provide administrative assistance to the nursing team.
- Provide smoking cessation support to patients in accordance with your training and practice protocols.
- Run Blood Pressure and Cardiac Clinics.
- Prepare the consulting and treatment rooms for effective consultation, maintaining stocks of examination instruments, stores and specimen collection materials, and ensuring couches and work benches/drawers are kept clean.
- Maintain the system for monitoring and ordering clinical supplies.
- Ensure that all specimens taken by clinicians, or brought in by patients, are ready for collection by pathology service.
- Assist in maintaining safe storage of drugs and vaccines under the direction of the on duty Nurse Practitioner.
- Ensure that you comply with infection control guidelines.
- Maintain patient privacy and dignity at all times, respecting patients rights, and preferences, and adopt a non-judgemental manner when interacting with patients.
Where the appropriate professional organisation details a requirement in relation to supervision, it is the responsibility of the post holder to ensure compliance with this requirement.
It is a standard element of the role and responsibility of all staff that they fulfil a proactive role towards the management of risk in all of their actions. This entails the risk assessment of all situations, the taking of appropriate actions and reporting of all incidents, near misses and hazards.
Confidentiality and Records Management
All employees of ELM Alliance are legally responsible for all records that are gathered, created or used as part of the work within the organisation (including patient health, financial, personal and administrative), whether paper based or on computer. All such records are considered public records, and there is a legal duty of confidence to service users (even after an employee has left employment). All employees are required to maintain the confidentiality of members of the public and members of staff in accordance with the organisations confidentiality policy.
Health and Safety
All employees of ELM Alliance have a statutory duty of care for their own personal safety and that of others who may be affected by their acts or omissions. Employees are required to co-operate with management to enable the organisation meets its own legal duties and to report any hazardous situations or defective equipment.
The content of this Job Description represents an outline of the post only and is therefore not a precise catalogue of duties and responsibilities. The Job Description is therefore intended to be flexible and is subject to review and amendment in the light of changing circumstances, following consultation with the post holder.
ELM Alliance has a responsibility to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults who use our services. We expect all staff and volunteers to share this responsibility. As part of the selection process for this post you will be required to undergo a Disclosure and Barring Service Check. If you are successfully appointed, you will receive confirmation of which checks and/or registration you are required to have.
A non-smoking environment and no-one may smoke in the building or its environs during their working hours
- NVQ Healthcare Level 3 or equivalent
- 5 GCSEs A-C or equivalent. To include English and Maths
- GCSE Science
- NVQ Healthcare Level 3
Want early bird access to jobs like this? Subscribe!
You’ll get the newsletters from time to time with hot job openings right before your eyes.