Bus Driver - United Arab Emirates
Under general supervision, operates a school bus, including Type 1 and/or Type 2, over designated routes within an established time schedule. The City Unified School District supports and adheres to a policy of nondiscrimination on the basis of race, colour, ethnic group identification, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, marital or parental status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sex.
SUMMARY OF SOME REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES:
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class.
- Transports students to and from school and on special event trips;
- Loads and unloads students safely at designated stops;
- Stops traffic and escorts children across streets when necessary;
- May transport children with special learning and physical needs;
- Adheres to policies and procedures regarding student behaviour management and public contact concerning transportation problems and concerns;
- Completes daily record of transportation functions, including students transported, mileage, type of trip, and standby time;
- Performs daily inspections of bus or transportation equipment; maintains bus or transportation vehicle in a clean and orderly condition, and reports all mechanical defects and malfunctions;
- Washes, sweeps, cleans and refuels transportation equipment;
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Education and experience: High school diploma or equivalent, plus one year of experience in the transportation of school children.
Good driving record.
Knowledge of: Safe driving practices and techniques; basic first aid procedures and methods; safety and maintenance requirements of bus and other pupil transportation equipment; provisions of the Motor Vehicle Code and any applicable to the operation of vehicles in the transportation of school children.
Ability to: Drive a school bus and other transportation equipment; maintain appropriate student behaviour on school bus and other transportation equipment; relay safety instructions to all pupils and document as required; perform appropriately in situations requiring tact and diplomacy; understand and carry out oral and written directions; establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
Condition of Employment: Must be insurable by the liability insurance carrier.
Licenses and Certificate Requirements:
- 1. A valid Motor Vehicles Operator's License, Class B with passenger endorsement.
- 2. A valid School Bus Driver's Special Certificate, without restrictions.
- 3. A valid Medical Examiner's Certificate
- 4. A valid First Aid/CPR Certificate issued by an authorised agency.
Environment: School bus and outdoor environment; seasonal heat and cold or adverse weather conditions; evening or variable hours; exposure to fumes, dust, odours, oil/grease and gases; driving a vehicle to conduct work.
Physical Demands: Sitting for extended periods of time while operating buses; hearing and speaking to exchange information; reaching, pulling and pushing to open bus doors; bending at the waist, kneeling or crouching to inspect and wash buses; climbing ladders or steps; reaching overhead, above the shoulders or horizontally; seeing to monitor passengers and operate a vehicle; lifting moderately heavy children or objects.
Hazards: Traffic hazards; driving a vehicle during adverse weather conditions; working at heights while inspecting and cleaning the buses; fumes from chemical cleansers and bus operation; working around moving objects or vehicles.
Requirements / Qualifications:
All applicants must pass a Bus Driver written assessment test before being considered for an interview. The test is a two hour multiple choice test.
Applicants with disabilities may request that reasonable accommodation be given related to the examination process itself. Applicants must notify the Office of Human Resources in writing of the type of accommodations being requested at the time of filing the application. Applicants may be required to provide documentation supporting the request for accommodation when the request is made.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
All employment offers are conditional, based upon the successful completion of the following: Fingerprint/background clearance, a tuberculosis clearance and proof of COVID-19 vaccination. If you are hired, we will require you to prove that you have received the COVID-19 vaccine(s) or have a valid religious or medical reason not to be vaccinated. A physical examination clearance is required for certain positions for the district. All candidates with a record of convictions must indicate such on the confidential data form, which is attached to the job application. A record of conviction will not automatically disqualify an applicant from employment, but a failure to list all convictions may result in disqualification or dismissal.
Please scan and attach all necessary documents and licenses. The attachments must be in PDF format.
- * Certificate Copy
- * CPR / First Aid Certification (Valid First Aid and CPR Certificate issued by an authorised agency.)
- * Driver's License Copy
- * Other (Medical Examiner's Certificate)
Comments and Other Information
Application deadline: until filled
Employment Type: Full Time
Length of Work Year: Permanent, 12-months per year
Number Openings: (at time of posting) 2
- A valid Motor Vehicles Operator's License
Want early bird access to jobs like this? Subscribe!
You’ll get the newsletters from time to time with hot job openings right before your eyes.